Friday, August 14, 2009

El Pollo Rico


So I recall having Peruvian chicken many years ago when my Aunt Lockie lived in Washington, D.C. and it is insanely popular for good reason in this area. Why I cannot find this succulent rotisserie charcoaled delight anywhere in Houston is besides me.
Even my idol Anthony Bourdain went here in his show "No Reservations"

see here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08clo-lj-jg&feature=related (skip to the 8:30 mark)

El Pollo Rico
is DC ' s bestttt Peruvian chicken spot..or Pollo a la Brasa as it's traditionaly called. You can pick up a quarter, half, or whole chicken meal that come with big home fries and cole slaw.


It's served up with 2 sauces: a spicy green puree that tastes like pureed jalapenos and cilantro (its amazing, my favorite for sure) and a creamy mayonnaise-y sauce.

I just stick with this firey green one..
I mix it into the otherwise boring cole slaw and slather it onto the charcoaled chicken. so good. I need to practice my BBQ skills at home and get back to you on this one in Texas!

No comments: